PLEASE, MAKE SURE THAT YOU READ CAREFULLY THIS WHOLE PAGE, IT HAS IMPORTANT INFORMATION. POINT #1 and #8 REQUIRES YOUR SPECIAL ATTENTION AND ACTION! THANK YOU!1.HOW MUCH DOES THE TRIP COST AND WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE?
The cost of the trip is 880 USD plus airfare. The $880 is the participation fee. Includes the hotel accommodation, most meals, and project related incidentals, materials and all in-town transportation. Some of the meals (when you are on campus or on the road) are not included. You will need approximately another $100 to bring with you in order to cover those costs.
$80 is the registration fee. Please send it to Campus Crusade for Christ, 100 Lake Hart Dr, Orlando, FL 32832, by JULY 31st!
Please make a check payable to “Campus Crusade for Christ” and earmark it for “Hungary 1996615 Project fee-BHHP”. The $80 deposit is a non-refundable cost toward the trip.
The $80 registration fee is part of the $880 total cost, so after you’ve paid the registration fee you only need to send $800.
$800 is due by the end of August, 2019. If that creates a problem for you, please send us an email and we will work out a solution with you.
We ask you, whenever you send a check or any payment to that account, or somebody sends it to support your participation, let us know by email. This account is used for other projects, too – so your help is needed to identify the amounts related with your participation.2.WHAT WILL I DO DURING THE WEEK?
- Help to distribute “student survival kits” on different campuses of Budapest.
- Help us begin the follow-up process by meeting individually with some of the students who express a desire to talk about knowing Christ personally.
- Help organize and follow-up a special campus and high school outreach.
- Speak at English classes in high school and university campuses.
- Recruit for and help run English clubs in different dormitories.
- Get to know Hungarians who have a burden to reach their country and the world with the Gospel.
- Experience the cultural life of Budapest which lies along the river Danube in the heart of Central-Europe.
We will have a cultural training and evangelism training once you have arrived in Budapest.4.WHAT IS THE SPIRITUAL CLIMATE OF HUNGARIAN STUDENTS?
Most of them come from a non-believing, broken home with lot of felt needs and an open heart toward God. Many students are spiritually open. Communism fell 26 years ago, but the fingerprint and the impact of it is still on the soul and heart of every individual. About 60% of students speak English.5.WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE IN BUDAPEST IN OCTOBER?
The weather should be traditional fall-like. Usually sunny (16-20 Celsius = 65-75 Fahrenheit) but rainy days are typical toward the end of the month. Please consult www.weather.com as the source for Budapest weather.6.DO I NEED VISA TO HUNGARY?
7.HOW LONG MY PASSPORT HAS TO BE VALID AFTER ENTERING TO THE COUNTRY?
90 days. For more information about traveling to Hungary visit the US Department of State site here.
8.DO I NEED TO SIGN ANYTHING?
Yes! Everybody who comes and serve with us will have to sign a “Volunteer contract”. The Hungarian government requires us to get this document filled out signed by everybody who comes to do mission-type work in Hungary. This “contract” makes it possible that your participation fee that you pay through Campus Crusade for Christ is tax-deductible for you, otherwise you would have to pay everything in cash in the country and we wouldn’t be able to pay for your hotel, food and transportation through CCC and make it tax-free for you. We will send the necessary contracts forms to all of you before travel. We will ask you to fill this out, and bring it with you signed. We’ll collect these documents during the orientation.
9.WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME?
- valid passport with a color copy of the photo/data page of the passport
- your Bible
- clothes for warm and rainy days, a business casual outfit for our celebration / banquet dinner in down-town of Budapest
- comfortable shoes
- some gifts for Hungarian students (ideas below)
10.WHAT ARE SOME GIFT IDEAS FOR STUDENTS?
Gifts are a great way to build trust and friendship with those students you get to know this week. However, don’t feel obligated to bring gifts for our staff. Yet if you want to bring 3 to 5 items for students you connect with during the week, please consider the below list:
- Journals and stationery (great gift for co-eds, chic gift)
- T-shirts and baseball caps with your favorite college or professional teams are always popular.
- Small size sport equipment (e.g. Frisbees, nerf or small footballs, etc.)
During our English clubs, we will have an “American Night”. In order to help with the atmosphere of the evening, we would love to have some of the following…
- food – e.g. Chocolate chip/peanut butter cookies, M & M candies, Reese’s peanut butter cups, peanut butter, Starburst, Mike and Ikes, Juju fruits, Junior Mints.
- decoration – American flags, paper cups, balloons and any kind of decorative items with American colors, funky sunglasses, big hair wigs, bizarre hats. Political accessories.
We suggest you email us and we can tell you what we might be missing.
11.IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO BUDAPEST AND EAT FOOD AND DRINK WATER THERE?
Budapest is a safer city than most major metropolitan US cities. The threat for terrorism is very low and violent crime is virtually unknown. However, petty crimes such as pick-pocketing are very common so leave at home unnecessary valuables. However, please bring your camera! And make a color copy of the data page of your passport for use when we are in the city.
12.HOW DO I EXCHANGE MY US DOLLARS TO HUNGARIAN CURRENCY?
Many shops and restaurants allow you to use VISA and Master Cards (but not Discover). Please bring an ATM card, so you can get cash from an ATM. Be aware that most credit card companies will charge you 1-3% fee for international purchase. Check with your credit card company for the rates that will apply to you. But this is the same fee that banks will also charge you when you exchange money. ATMs are how Americans who live here usually exchange money. Also let your credit card company know you will use your credit card overseas, so they do not block your card when a charge in Budapest shows up on your account.